The Lake of the Ozarks, where two children were electrocuted on Wednesday, near Osage Beach, Missouri, is pictured in 2011
(CNN) -- A 13-year-old girl and her 8-year-old brother were electrocuted Wednesday while they were swimming in the Lake of the Ozarks near Osage Beach, Missouri, authorities said.
The two were swimming near a private dock in the lake when they were killed, according to a press release from the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
"The children screamed when the initial shock hit and when the adults dove in (to attempt rescue) they could feel the electricity in the water," said Highway Patrol Sgt. Paul Reinsch. Then the adults turned off the electricity to the dock" before pulling the siblings out of the water and attempting CPR, Reinsch said.
The children, who were from Ashland, Missouri, about 60 miles north of the scene of the accident, were taken to Lake Regional Hospital, where they were pronounced dead.
Reinsch told CNN the water was electrified because of "a problem with the wiring going to the dock from the house," although he stressed that investigators could not pinpoint which of several electrical components on the dock caused the accident.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol Marine Operations Division and the Division of Drug and Crime Control were investigating, and autopsies were planned, authorities said.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.