LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says a chlorine gas leak at an Arkansas poultry plant last year that sickened nearly 200 people occurred because a worker couldn't read English.
The CDC said in a report released Thursday that a Spanish-speaking worker at the Tyson Foods plant in Springdale knew not to mix sodium hypochlorite with an acid but couldn't read the label on a container of chemicals that had been misplaced.
Tyson Foods disputes the report. Spokesman Gary Mickelson says the worker wasn't Hispanic and that a language issue wasn't to blame. He didn't say why the accident happened.
The health agency recommends that U.S. industries take steps to better train workers and says warning labels should be tailored to workers' languages and educational levels.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.