Pa. man charged in hoax that led to plane's recall

A man was charged Friday with making a hoax threat that led authorities to recall a Texas-bound plane in midair and force an unwitting passenger off the plane at gunpoint.

Law enforcement officials work around a US Airways flight at Philadelphia International Airport, after the plane returned to the airport, Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012, in Philadelphia. A security scare that prompted authorities to recall an airborne U.S. flight was the result of an apparent hoax, police said Thursday. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A man was charged Friday with making a hoax threat that led authorities to recall a Texas-bound plane in midair and force an unwitting passenger off the plane at gunpoint.

The midair explosives scare was apparently the result of a love triangle, according to an affidavit that accompanied the charges filed against Kenneth W. Smith Jr.

Smith called police at the Philadelphia airport Thursday morning to report that a passenger heading to Texas was carrying a liquid explosive, authorities said.

Officials then recalled US Airways Flight 1267 — which was about 90 miles away — to Philadelphia, where the plane was surrounded by law enforcement and passenger Christopher Shell was taken off at gunpoint. Authorities later said he did nothing wrong.

During questioning, Shell told authorities of a feud involving him, his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend "Kenny." Shell had recently traded "hostile messages" on his cellphone with his ex-girlfriend about the situation, according to the affidavit.

Shell gave officers the name of Smith's workplace, where he was questioned. Authorities said Smith admitted he made the call from a payphone to "avenge" the ex-girlfriend, because Shell had posted a compromising picture of her on Facebook.

Smith, 26, of Philadelphia, was charged with conveying false information that interfered with aviation and using an instrument of commerce — the phone — to do so.

He was scheduled for an initial appearance in federal court on Friday afternoon. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000 and possible restitution.

Authorities had stressed on Thursday that Shell was blameless for the scare. He continued his travel late Thursday to Texas, where he planned to celebrate his 29th birthday with friends and family, but authorities arrested him when he arrived at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.

Texas authorities said Shell had outstanding warrants for two drug-possession charges — less than 2 ounces of marijuana and less than 28 grams of a controlled substance. He was jailed Friday morning on $3,000 bond in Collin County near Dallas.


Associated Press writer Jamie Stengle and videographer John Mone in Dallas, and AP writers Maryclaire Dale and Randy Pennell in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

Associated Press
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus


6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 168939486 -