Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and and China's Minister of National Defense Gen. Liang Guanglie, not seen, speak during a joint press briefing at the Pentagon, Monday, May 7, 2012. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says no unauthorized information was provided to filmmakers producing a movie on the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
Panetta, the former CIA director, told the Senate Wednesday that there is a Defense Department office that works with movie producers. But he insisted that no one in the department released any unauthorized material.
Republican Rep. Peter King of New York has argued that the CIA and Pentagon jeopardized national security by cooperating too closely with director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal. The two won Academy Awards for the motion picture "The Hurt Locker."
Last month, King cited documents obtained by Judicial Watch in a Freedom of Information Act request. He said the filmmakers received "extremely close, unprecedented and potentially dangerous collaboration" from the Obama administration.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.