WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. admiral said Tuesday that special operations forces in Afghanistan are preparing for a possible expanded role as American forces begin to withdraw after a decade of war.
Adm. Bill McRaven, the special operations commander who led last year's Navy commando raid against Osama bin Laden, confirmed special operations forces would be the last to leave under the Obama administration's current plan, and that the Pentagon is considering handing more of the Afghan war responsibility over to a senior special operations officer as part of that evolution.
He said special operations would combine targeting and training operations this summer to prepare for a smaller overall U.S. footprint, but McRaven stressed that no final decisions had been made.
"We feel like we have to become not only more effective but more efficient," McRaven told a Washington audience.
"As far as anything beyond that, we're exploring a lot of options," he said.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.