An Afghan National Army soldier carries his rockets while on patrol in Logar province, east Afghanistan, Thursday, May 17, 2012. (AP Photo/Anja Niedringhaus)
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon says an attack in eastern Afghanistan that wounded several American soldiers appears to have been perpetrated by an Afghan soldier.
A Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt. John Kirby, said Thursday that the attacker fled the scene and is still at large.
Kirby said the wounded are in stable condition at a medical facility. He didn't disclose their numbers or nationality, but other officials said the five shot were all Americans.
The attack Tuesday was the 19th so far this year in which an Afghan soldier or policeman has turned his weapon on members of the international military coalition. Kirby said a total of 26 coalition members have been killed in those attacks, including 13 Americans.
Kirby said U.S. officials are deeply concerned by this year's increase in insider attacks.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.