Maj. Gen. James McConville, front left, speaks to troops from the 101st Airborne Division on Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2013, as they prepare to leave Fort Campbell, Ky., for a yearlong deployment to Afghanistan. McConville says the division has to be agile and adaptive as they set the stage for the 2014 withdrawal of U.S. combat forces. (AP Photo/Kristin M. Hall)
FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (AP) -- The acting commander at Fort Campbell says the 101st Airborne Division is doubling down on efforts to curb sexual assault and harassment.
Brig. Gen. Mark Stammer told reporters Thursday that he has been meeting with officers this week to stress that inappropriate and illegal behavior won't be tolerated at the sprawling Army post straddling the Kentucky-Tennessee state line.
The Sexual Harassment and Assault Response Prevention program comes in response to several prominent episodes of sexual misconduct and calls from Congress for the Pentagon to revamp how it handles such allegations.
Fort Campbell has had its own recent problems. The previous manager of the sexual assault response program was arrested in a domestic dispute last month.
Stammer said that incident had created an "ugly perception," but did not affect ongoing efforts.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.