JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. (AP) -- Carbon monoxide has sickened more than two dozen inmates at an East Tennessee jail.
Washington County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Leighta Laitinen told the Johnson City Press one inmate lost consciousness during the incident Saturday morning and was taken to a hospital for treatment.
Authorities said a malfunctioning gas-fired water heater leaked the gas into two pods of the jail in Jonesborough. When inmates began complaining of headaches, jailers took some of them to the booking area and others to an exercise yard.
The water heater was turned off and the pods were ventilated.
Laitenen said the sheriff's office staff will meet Monday to discuss why no detection system was installed and how much it would cost to get one.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.