2-year-old dies in house fire

SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. (AP/WVLT) -- A 2-year-old girl has died after a blaze broke out at her grandmother's home.

The Shelbyville Times-Gazette reports the fire was reported late Saturday morning. Shelbyville Fire Chief Ricky McConnell said he thinks the blaze began with an electrical problem and originated in the room where the girl died.

The child's grandmother suffered minor burns, but was able to get out of the house. Her grandfather wasn't injured.

Sgt. Brian Crews of the Shelbyville Police Department said the grandparents were watching the girl while the child's mother worked.

The girl's identity wasn't immediately released.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 194641911