Firefighters escape injury when live wire falls

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) -- Chattanooga firefighters responding to a house fire had a scary moment when a live electrical wire fell across a fire engine.

It happened early Wednesday. Fire department spokesman Bruce Garner said the firefighters avoided electrocution by jumping from the engine, rather than stepping from it, so it did not create a circuit ground. There were no injuries.

The small wood frame house was vacant and was boarded up. A neighbor reported seeing a homeless man in the house recently, so firefighters searched to make certain no one was inside. No one was found.

The neighbor was taken to a hospital with burns to his hand from trying to pry boards off a window.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188074621 - local8now.com/a?a=188074621
Gray Television, Inc.