PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A heat lamp that was placed in a box of wood shavings meant to keep baby chicks warm is to blame for a deadly fire in Pigeon Forge over the weekend, according to the Sevier Co. Sheriff's Office.
Marjorie C. King, 73, succumbed to the smoke while trying to make sure all her other family members got outside. She did not realize they already had escaped.
Fire Investigator James Breeden determined the fire, which had started in the carport area, was accidental. He noted that there were smoke detectors in the home, but said he did not know if they were working.
People inside at the time claimed they never heard the smoke detectors, but instead saw smoke and falling debris.
Pigeon Forge Police Officers tried to reach King, but were driven back by heavy smoke and fire.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.