Heat lamp - warming baby chicks - blamed for deadly Pigeon Forge fire

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A heat lamp that was placed in a box of wood shavings meant to keep baby chicks warm is to blame for a deadly fire in Pigeon Forge over the weekend, according to the Sevier Co. Sheriff's Office.

Marjorie C. King, 73, succumbed to the smoke while trying to make sure all her other family members got outside. She did not realize they already had escaped.

Fire Investigator James Breeden determined the fire, which had started in the carport area, was accidental. He noted that there were smoke detectors in the home, but said he did not know if they were working.

People inside at the time claimed they never heard the smoke detectors, but instead saw smoke and falling debris.

Pigeon Forge Police Officers tried to reach King, but were driven back by heavy smoke and fire.


Join the Conversation!

While WVLT allows comments on articles, we ask that you respect the online community. Comments may be removed at any time for violations including:

  • Obscenity, profanity, vulgarity, racism, violent descriptions, name-calling or personal attacks.
  • Abuse of multiple accounts.
  • Off-topic comments.

Comments may be checked for inappropriate content or rule violation, but the station is under no legal obligation to monitor or remove comments. If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator. 
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 199880441 - local8now.com/a?a=199880441
Gray Television, Inc.