Knoxville reflects on 8th gayest city ranking

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT)--Knoxville is the 8th gayest city in America.
That's according to The Advocate, a gay and lesbian magazine, in their latest tongue and cheek survey.

We talked to both sides about this distinction.

No matter what side of the fence you fall on, this is a surprising announcement, but one that's well received.

Knoxville is known for the gold Sunsphere that stands tall downtown.
Now it shines for something different.

Out of all the cities in America, Knoxville is the 8th gay friendliest.
Doug Spencer says, "It surprises me."

Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Minister Chris Buice says, "My first reaction was I was surprised."

Jess Johnson says, "That's kinda surprising actually."

After thinking about it for a minute, they changed their mind.
Spencer says, "It shows that we're growing in accepting of other viewpoints."

Buice says, "There's a lot of openness friendliness here."

Johnson says, "It's kind of been in the background the entire time, but you know it's there."

The Advocate sited Knoxville's softball teams and gay bookstores.

And mentioned the Spectrum Cafe at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church.

Buice says, "It's an inclusive place where teens and friends can come together and be honest about who I am."

Since Spectrum opened there are 15 gay straight alliances in schools throughout area.

Young people are leading the way.

Buice says, "Teens are bringing openness and a way to look differently and I think more and more adults are listening."

Johnson says, "I support homosexuality completely. I think it's if they want to get married or be together that's great."

It's not just the younger generation who is changing perception.

Spencer says, "I think homosexuality is a way of life that individuals have chosen. I also believe everyone's way of life should be accepted."

The ranking to most means we're a city accepting of our neighbors.

Username:

Join the Conversation!

While WVLT allows comments on articles, we ask that you respect the online community. Comments may be removed at any time for violations including:

• Obscenity, profanity, vulgarity, racism, violent descriptions, name-calling or personal attacks.
  • Abuse of multiple accounts.
  • Off-topic comments.

Comments may be checked for inappropriate content or rule violation, but the station is under no legal obligation to monitor or remove comments. If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

• by Michael Location: Pioneer on Feb 1, 2012 at 03:35 AM
    Unfortunately, too many"Christians" feel like you Ashley-"Leave them alone it's not our business, God will deal with them later".True, God will deal with them-and his children who haven't done what in reality IS their business.Jesus said "I must be about my Father's business".What is his business?Saving lost souls,is it not?Are his people so uncaring they would rather people face eternity in HELL rather than themselves face a little public scorn?Do they not realize what hell is?Do they think folks will get used to it eventually?Can you imagine burnig for eternity in total darkness?With others screaming and gnashing on you with their teeth?Think the demons will welcome them?NO THEY WON'T hell was prepared for the Devil and his angels-you go there as an intruder-you will not be welcomed.Think you won't be a servant below?(Some have said"I'd rather be a master below as a servant above")not only will those decending into the pit serve Satan and his rouge angels-they will be their whipping boys (or girls).Can we really afford not to warn them of their transgressions?
  • by Michael Location: Pioneer on Jan 15, 2012 at 03:09 PM
    O.K Ashley,if you took offense to my affirmative communicaion, I beg your pardon.Seems you and folks like you "I'm a christian,know every verse in the Bible,don't you JUDGE me or anybody else you hypocrite" have so much pain to deal with you really don't care what the shape of things around you is.You all look for ways to take offense.It really is a shame. You obviously haven't learned anything from the scriptures and don't want to.You will stand without excuse,friend.Your eyes would be opened to the truth if you truely accpted Jesus as Savior and Lord. Paul instructs us "...now are ye light in the Lord,walk ye as children of light" (Epeshians 5:8)It's up to you-read Ezekiel Chapter 3. It will tell you what happens when you don't warn people of their transgressions.I want the best for everyone,I won't sugar coat it or tickle your ears-that won't help you or me in the least.
  • by Ashley on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    First of all I'm not your dear. Second of all I know more than one commandment from the Bible. Third of all I never said that I was so called mad at the messenger. No one is going to set there and say that I don't the Bible or the Lord. Fourth of all if someone chooses to be gay or anything like that then they are ultimately the ones that will have to reap the repercussions from it, I know that it is against the bible. I also don't need people on here preaching to me, when ultimately it's not anyone else's choice on how someone lives their life. The Lord will handle that when their time comes, that's why people need to mind their own business and leave them alone.
  • by Anonymous Location: Michael on Jan 12, 2012 at 09:04 PM
    Well, dear,if you know them all (by the way they aren't MY SCRIPTURES, they ALL came from God)then you should be appalled by this title that has been hung around Knoxville's neck like a hangman's noose.Anyone born again will want to know The Lord's will for his or her life. Getting mad at the messenger dosen't change the message. Seems like the only commandment you are aware of is "Thou shalt not judge". A favorite of those who are stiff-necked and unwilling to submit to Jesus Christ's lordship.Madam, I only wish to be of help to you and anyone else reading these posts-I wish you wouldn't take offense-but if you do so be it. You two wanted to assert your rights, I only tried to make clear what your RIGHTS truely are.One day EVERY kneee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus is LORD-whether they want to or not.Professing HIM as LORD means you want to conform YOURSELF to the BIBLICAL standard-not try to bend it and shape it to conform to you. You call me a hypocrite-why?Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? (Galatians 4:16)Whether you have a good realtionship with The Savior or not really is YOUR business,but if you despise his words-what does that say about that relationship?You two asked the questions-if you didn't really want the answers, why ask?I felt lead to speak-out of love-if you can't accept it as love-dear heart who really has a problem?If you won't accept friendly advise, I will leave you alone.You haven't hurt my feelings in the least, regardless of whether you want my prayeres or not you have them-and I desire yours, if you don't mind.I wish you the best and a close walk with Jesus!Blessings and Peace from God our Father and our Lord Jesus-Remember you are loved!
  • by Ashley on Jan 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    First of all Michael, I don't need your bible scriptures. I know them all. That's the problem now days is that all you people know how to do is throw a bible verse at someone. Well frankly Michael I do know the Lord we both do. I don't need people like you trying to preach the bible to me, believe me I know it well enough and you or anyone else is not going to try and say that I don't. It's because of people like you that think they can just throw a bible verse at someone that they are doing the Lord's work, well guess what your not because everyone that does that is breaking the commandments to, by judging someone which is exactly what you are doing to me. You are nothing but a hypocrite. Second of all I do have a King James version of the bible and I don't need you or anyone else throwing your verses at me or anyone else, because obviously you don't know the bible yourself, because you are going against it. Third of all I don't need you or any other hypocrite praying for me, because I can pray on my own and I'm not the one that needs the prayers. I think you should be praying for yourself and the hypocrite's just like you. Just because someone doesn't use a ton of scriptures in every sentence you think they don't know the bible, well guess what I do.
  • by Michael on Jan 12, 2012 at 01:15 AM
    Well Ashley, if the Lord is in your hearts-you do what he says-RIGHT? Do you even know what his Word has to say about the statement "I have the strength to do what I want"?Jesus didn't save anyone and then say "You're saved now, do as you please, long as you don't hurt anybody".John 15:10 (Jesus speaking)says If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love;even as I have kept my Father's commandmants and abide in his love"Look that one up,please. You two are saved,surely you have aBible handy King James Version, I hope.Anyway, your strength is less than nothing-if you think you'll stand on your own strength, you are badly mistaken.John 15:5 (Jesus speaking) says "I am the vine, ye are the branches he that abideth in me and I in him bringeth forth much fruitand I in him bringeth forth much fruit:for without me ye can do nothing" Please look it up and read on from there. I've been praying for you and will continue.If you think people judge you, trust me it matters not-God's judgement is all ready rendered he has seen this rock we call home from beginning to end and knows how EVERYTHING will go.He wants everyone to be reconcilled to him-his Son's blood was the only thing able to do that.If you are saved-you were bought with a terrible price, and your life is NOT your own! I can give the scriptures to back that up let me know if you want them.
  • by Ashley on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    First of all Anonymous, My husband Nick is saved he has taken the Lord into his heart. He was saved on August 1st, 2000. Second of all just because someone chooses to wear something different than what other people do doesn't mean that they don't know the Lord. I am also saved I was saved on June 12, 1999. I also know the bible and we both attend church. It's because of people like you that people think that they can't be who they want to be without the criticism. Third of all you are no better than anyone else because you are breaking one of the Lord's commandments because you are pre-judging someone when you don't even know them. Fourth of all Nick is not a hater as you so put. How do you get that he is a hater? Is it just because he likes and feels comfortable in women's clothes, that I by the way help him pick out and like when he wears. Does that make me weird and a non-christian. I DON'T THINK SO!!! We know the bible too and We do have the Lord in our hearts, we know that we are saved and where we are going when we die. Do You!!! Since you are obviously breaking one of the Lord's commandments yourself, you are just like everyone else that goes by the outer appearance of someone and doesn't take the time to get to know someone before you judge them by what they wear. That it all I have to say for now. Have a Nice Day!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 10, 2012 at 06:58 PM
    Rirst of all Nick that referencd is in I Corinthians Chapter 6 Verse 9 in the King James Version of our Lord's Holy Word. Which IS the end all authority on moral conduct and living a God pleasing life. If you want something to go in agreement with your flesh (feelings) you will have to look elsewhere for the flesh is emnity against the spirit and in another place against God. You are absolutly right You don't HAVE to listen to his word, he loves you that much. He wants ALL people to be redeemed and in Revelations Chapter 3 Verse 20 (Jesus speaking)"Behold, I stand at the door and knock, if ANY man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him and sup with him and he with me" Jesus is above all a gentleman though, HE WILL NOT FORCE HIMSELF ON ABYONE. You say you aren't gay? Seems then you have no dog in the firght-maybe YOU'RE just a "hater" yoursself?Doesn't matter, friend, I yet love you and have never met you-that goes especially for the Lord JESUS CHRIST! His love he freely gives to ALL HUMANS even the one's who will not obey his commandments. It is, however in their best interest to surrender completely to his lordship. It is through and by his blood that HUMANS are reconciled to the Father (GOD JEHOVA). You have confused humanistic thinking with righteousness (we have the RIGHT to do whatever seems good to us) Friend it won't wash with The Lord-his word tells us EXACTLY what we MAY and MAY NOT do and be pleasing to HIM. Slice it however you want His standard is what we will ALL be "JUDGED" BY ON THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE DAY OF THE LORD (judgement day)For his "saved" GREAT for those who reject him TERRIBLE Joel Chapter 2 Verse 11. I beg you, get into his word and learn of HIM!!
  • by billy Location: spring city on Jan 10, 2012 at 03:56 PM
    when i first heard of this story i was sick to my stomach, it has to be a sad day for most of the people who live in knoxville. as for channel 10 news THEY SOUND LIKE THEY ARE MAKING THIS OUT TO BE SOMETHING KNOXVILLE SHOULD BE PROUD OF,IT'S LIKE I SAID ITS A SAD DAY FOR THE PEOPLE OF KNOXVILLE.
  • by oskiesmom on Jan 10, 2012 at 02:05 PM
    This article is pitifully written and evidently not edited. What in Sam Hill does the Sunsphere have to do with it, I shudder to ask? And, "tongue AND cheek"? How can you say this ranking is well-received? That's not your place. And it's CITED, not sited. I could go on.
  • Page:

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

Copyright © 2015 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136986473 - local8now.com/a?a=136986473