Memphis kids playing with lighter start fire, firefighters say

By: AP
By: AP

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Memphis firefighters say an apartment fire started when three small children were playing with a cigarette lighter in the bedroom.

Firefighters credited two apartment staff members for pulling the children, ages 2, 5 and 6, from the burning two-story building on Friday afternoon.

The Memphis Fire Department said in a release that the residence did not have a working smoke detector, and three units were damaged by smoke, fire or water.

About 40 firefighters and emergency personnel responded to the scene at Pendleton West Apartments. No one was hurt.

The fire was brought under control at around 4:30 p.m. The building sustained about $25,000 in structural damage.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 267803371 - local8now.com/a?a=267803371
Gray Television, Inc.