MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Memphis firefighters say an apartment fire started when three small children were playing with a cigarette lighter in the bedroom.
Firefighters credited two apartment staff members for pulling the children, ages 2, 5 and 6, from the burning two-story building on Friday afternoon.
The Memphis Fire Department said in a release that the residence did not have a working smoke detector, and three units were damaged by smoke, fire or water.
About 40 firefighters and emergency personnel responded to the scene at Pendleton West Apartments. No one was hurt.
The fire was brought under control at around 4:30 p.m. The building sustained about $25,000 in structural damage.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.