Man dies in Oregon house fire; celebrating move back from Nashville

TROUTDALE, Ore. (AP) -- A man was killed in a house fire Sunday in Troutdale.

The Oregonian reports 52-year-old Jeffery Averette had moved into the house two days earlier to care for his 69-year-old mother who suffered a stroke.

Authorities suspect the fire may have been started by smoldering fireworks that had been set off the Saturday night to celebrate Averette's move back home from Nashville, Tenn.

Neighbors kicked in a door to rescue JoAnne Kaneaster from the living room, but they couldn't reach Averette from a bedroom. His body was recovered by firefighters.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 215541741 - local8now.com/a?a=215541741