Neighbors help man save home from fire

ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (AP) -- An Elizabethton man says helping a neighbor save his house from a fire was just returning a favor.

Dave Smith told the Johnson City Press he was driving up to his house Monday afternoon when he saw smoke and knew instantly his new propane grill had exploded.

Smith began spraying his house and deck with a garden hose and was quickly joined by neighbors Kendal Hartman and Terry Morris, who also brought hoses. By the time firefighters arrived, the flames were out. The deck was charred and vinyl siding melted on the side of the house.

Hartman reminded Smith that about 10 years ago Smith was going to work when he saw Hartman's house on fire and ran inside to make sure everyone was safely out.

------

Information from: Johnson City Press, http://www.johnsoncitypress.com


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 164414846 - local8now.com/a?a=164414846
Gray Television, Inc.