Repo man blames cops for beat down

By: Mario Boone Email
By: Mario Boone Email

CLINTON, Tenn. (WVLT) -- "I was definitely in fear of my life," says Joshua Parker. And with good reason. Parker repossesses cars, and has seen plenty of angry folks not willing to give up their wheels.

"We have a lot of people come out with bats and guns and so forth. It's not really like it is on TV, but there is some threat of harm," said his boss Andy Parker.

Parker says he was just doing his job Friday when a man followed him on Mountain Road in Anderson County. "As soon as he had me blocked in two police cars showed up." He felt relieved at the sight of flashing blue lights, until things took a bizarre turn.

Said Parker, "I just said, 'okay, I'm repo, I'm backing up.' I thought that was going to be it, I thought I was going to turn and go to my car and next thing I know I'm getting attacked." Not by the man who followed him. Parker says Anderson County sheriff's deputies delivered the beat down.

"The first officer grabbed me and threw me straight into the vehicle." He blacked out from the impact. But it didn't end there. "He just began hitting me in the back of the head, and my head kept on hitting the concrete. I was bleeding all over the place. I had blood all over my face."

Bloodied, bruised and disoriented, Parker says he begged for an ambulance, but deputies seemed reluctant to call one.

I visited Sheriff Paul White's office for his version, but was told White was unavailable. Volunteer TV obtained Parker's arrest report, which paints a dramatically different picture.

The arresting officer says Parker approached in "...aggressive manner, waving his arms, and shouting." Cops say it was Parker's own "squirming on the ground" which caused his injuries, prompting deputies to request EMS.

Parker says his physical pain will heal over time but his mental anguish will be around for quite a while. Meantime, he remains free on bond pending his first court appearance.

Username:

Join the Conversation!

While WVLT allows comments on articles, we ask that you respect the online community. Comments may be removed at any time for violations including:

• Obscenity, profanity, vulgarity, racism, violent descriptions, name-calling or personal attacks.
  • Abuse of multiple accounts.
  • Off-topic comments.

Comments may be checked for inappropriate content or rule violation, but the station is under no legal obligation to monitor or remove comments. If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

• by Anonymous Location: Tennessee on Aug 10, 2011 at 07:25 PM
    This is a fine example of one sided reporting! Any professional in the news media should make an effort to report the ENTIRE story, which obviously was not done here. The closed minded, ignorant individuals basing their opinions on this poorly reported story are truly pathetic.
  • by Lowe Location: TN on Jul 28, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    I tell ya, this county makes more news than any other in the viewing area. And yes it does have a good ole boy system that doesn't give anyone a chance. Making news is NOT a good thing. It just tells you how bad it is... Hope the gentleman makes a swift recovery.
  • by brittany long Location: anderson county on Jul 25, 2011 at 02:45 AM
    Welcome to Anderson county the "good ol boys" there are some officers at acsd that are truly getting a bad name by the majority that work there, coming from an abusive marriage I finally got the nerve to call for help one night and since my ex work at acsd when they arrived they pulled a gun on me when I had blood covering my face and body after being assaulted my ex was let go I filed a report and it conviently was lost or as I was told by Paul white the report that the officers wrote said nothing about me being assaulted and no charges was filed. I could go on and on about this and tell story after story of things that my ex did that was hidden but it will not change. I hope that if this man was truly assaulted by the officers and he made no threats towards them that he will receive justice....
  • by David Location: Knoxville on Jul 23, 2011 at 02:35 PM
    When we had a burglary alarm at our dealership I drove to it and the cops were already there. I got out of my car and put my hands in the air and shouted that I worked there. They holstered their weapons and asked for ID. Same thing these cops should have done. He probably got out of his car waved his arms in the air to show no weapon, as you should, and shouted back to them that he was a repo man. Anderson County sucks so bad when it comes to cops. They all think they're cowboys.
  • by Michelle Location: Blount County on Jul 22, 2011 at 09:32 PM
    It's quiet sad when you are suppose to feel safe and then the one's that are to serve and protect violate you. In my opinion the cops that did this deserve it done to them. Then again they will stand before God for his judgement. I pray the family heals from this incident.
  • by SL on Jul 22, 2011 at 06:05 PM
    Wouldn't hurt to note the "repo men" couldn't provide ANY paperwork or licensing to prove who they were, what they were doing, nor did they notify the ACSO they were doing any repo business in the county. Their only paperwork was a sheet of notebook paper with addresses and vehicle descriptions. The person who called them in was concerned they were up to no good. All that info is available in the report you obtained. "Drastically different" or not, both sides should be reported.
      by What Ever! on Jul 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM in reply to SL
      I DO NOT work for the ACSD BUT I stand behind them.They keep this county safer than most. That depart. is ran with professionalism and it shows through our Deputies. Did the Reporter verify that the Parker's even have a valid license to Repo? They failed to inform the dispatch that they would be repoing in an area that has been hit with so many auto thefts, break-ins and home invasions. The PARKERS failed to the most basic of rules in their profession. Perhaps it was Mr. Parker who was "cowboying" as mentioned above. This is terrible reporting on the part of Volunteer TV. Good job ACSD!
        by SL on Jul 26, 2011 at 05:19 PM in reply to What Ever!
        I don't work for the department either and totally agree that this is the WVLT problem--they're a great news station but for the stories that only get one side reported and make all parties involved look bad without bothering to tell the information that the reporters have IN HAND!. I wasn't there so I don't know what happened on the scene, but I definitely think the story wasn't reported fairly, regardless of who the real "victim" was. They're doing an update of some sort today on the evening news...will be interesting to see what is said about it.

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

Copyright © 2015 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126036258 - local8now.com/a?a=126036258