Tennessee NASCAR fan killed by suspected gas leak in Talladega

TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) -- Talladega County authorities say a suspected carbon monoxide leak has killed a Tennessee man who was camping out for a NASCAR race.

Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore says friends of the man and his wife found the couple unresponsive inside their motor home at the Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday afternoon.

Deputy Coroner Larry Seals says the couple was likely using a gas stove for heat and there was a problem with the generator's exhaust system. Authorities found the man dead when they arrived, and his wife has been hospitalized in Birmingham. The man's identity has not yet been released.

The man is at least the second racing fan to die while camping out near the track this year.

In early May a Georgia man accidentally drowned in a creek near the track.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 228594201 - local8now.com/a?a=228594201