Trapped man died of accidental suffocation

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A medical examiner has concluded that a Nashville restaurant owner died of accidental suffocation by carbon dioxide inhalation when he was trapped in a cooler.

After an autopsy, the medical examiner said Tuesday that 47-year-old Jay Luther would have been overcome within just a few minutes of entering the Germantown Cafe East cooler Sunday night. The cooler contained dry ice due to a power outage over the weekend. Dry ice dissipates into carbon dioxide gas.

Police said Luther went into the cooler and the door shut, trapping him inside. The interior door release was broken, and Luther was not carrying a cell phone. He was the only person at the business at the time.

His body was found Monday.

Police said carbon dioxide vapor can displace oxygen in confined spaces.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 159630605 - local8now.com/a?a=159630605
Gray Television, Inc.