CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) -- A woman has third degree burns after her boyfriend lit a cigarette next to her as she was pumping gas at a Chattanooga service station.
Twenty-year-old Samantha Lawrence suffered second and third-degree burns to about 30 percent of her body, mostly her torso and arms, according to a news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department.
Investigators ruled the May 26 fire accidental, but the boyfriend, Derek Seretean was arrested at the scene on an unrelated warrant, according to Chattanooga police.
Lawrence remains hospitalized at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga.
Fire department spokesman Bruce Garner told the Chattanooga Times Free Press that National Fire Protection Association figures show more than 5,000 fires and explosions happened at gas stations each year between 2004 and 2008.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.