Wheeling, WV (WVLT) -- Most people think of heroes as firefighters, police officers, or maybe even your teacher or neighbor.
But a woman in West Virginia was saved by her feline companion, Opie. She's usually irritated from her cat's constant meowing but now she's thankful.
Denise Huss woke up to Opie making an unusual noise that sounded like a small child crying. It turns out he was meowing at the top of his lungs because there was a fire brewing in the apartment building she was in! She woke up to black smoke coming into her bedroom window. That gave her just enough time to grab Opie, her pajamas, and purse, then run out.
Within moments, her apartment on top of the two-story building was on fire. The blaze started in the basement, likely because of electrical problems. The entire building is considered a complete loss.
But lucky for Denise and thanks to Opie, they still have each other.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.