WEST COVINA, Calif. (AP) — Four men — including the would-be groom — have been arrested for a marriage proposal stunt in which hundreds of motorcycles blocked a Southern California freeway, authorities said.
The prospective groom and three of his friends were all booked for investigation of misdemeanor public nuisance and participating in an unlawful assembly. The 24-year-old groom, Hector Martinez of Covina, also was booked for investigation of exhibition of speed, authorities said Tuesday.
As many as 250 motorcycles stopped on the eastbound Interstate 10 in West Covina on Jan. 27 so that Martinez could propose to his girlfriend. At one point, a bike sent up a cloud of pink smoke.
The stunt, which lasted about two minutes, was captured on video and went viral on the Internet.
"They made a spectacle of it," said Sgt. Kurt Stormes of the California Highway Patrol. "It's a slap in the face of law enforcement, in general."
Martinez's bride-to-be accepted the proposal. She is not facing any charges.
Stormes said investigators were able to find the men through social media.
"They bragged about it a lot," Stormes said of the bikers.
Three members of a rock band were each sentenced to probation last year and 35 days of community service for blocking a freeway to promote their music.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.