Man Carrying Flaming Grill Burned When Propane Explodes

Clarksville, Tenn. (AP) -- A Clarksville-area man has been seriously burned when a hot grill he was carrying the bed of his pickup truck caused a propane tank to explode.

Montgomery County Sheriff's spokesman Ted Denny says Jonathon Ferrell was driving Sunday afternoon when the blast occurred at an intersection. Denny says the hot grill got too close to the propane tank.

The 1978 pickup truck was engulfed in flames when rescue units arrived, but they quickly extinguished them.

Denny says Ferrell was taken by helicopter to the burn unit at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville and added Ferrell was lucky to have lived through the explosion and fire.

Denny said, "obviously, we would urge people not to drive with burning grills in their vehicles."

A Vanderbilt spokesman says Ferrell is in stable condition today.

Copyright 2007 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Tim Location: Blaine, TN on May 7, 2007 at 12:59 AM
    I'll bet that he has a different outlook on "grilled" food from now on!

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2016 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 6937467 - local8now.com/a?a=6937467
Gray Television, Inc.