Man Carrying Flaming Grill Burned When Propane Explodes

Clarksville, Tenn. (AP) -- A Clarksville-area man has been seriously burned when a hot grill he was carrying the bed of his pickup truck caused a propane tank to explode.

Montgomery County Sheriff's spokesman Ted Denny says Jonathon Ferrell was driving Sunday afternoon when the blast occurred at an intersection. Denny says the hot grill got too close to the propane tank.

The 1978 pickup truck was engulfed in flames when rescue units arrived, but they quickly extinguished them.

Denny says Ferrell was taken by helicopter to the burn unit at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville and added Ferrell was lucky to have lived through the explosion and fire.

Denny said, "obviously, we would urge people not to drive with burning grills in their vehicles."

A Vanderbilt spokesman says Ferrell is in stable condition today.

Copyright 2007 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 6937467 - local8now.com/a?a=6937467
Gray Television, Inc.