Polish Supreme Court OKs trial in Afghan deaths

WARSAW, Poland (AP) -- Poland's Supreme Court has overturned a lower court ruling and is allowing the trial of seven soldiers suspected in the deaths of eight Afghan civilians.

Last month a regional court rejected an indictment against the soldiers and said it lacked vital information.

But Supreme Court judge Marek Pietruszynski said Wednesday the material gathered is "complete enough" to open the trial. It was not immediately clear when the trial could start.

The Polish soldiers face charges of killing eight civilians when they fired at the Afghan village of Nangarkhel during a 2007 pursuit of Taliban insurgents.

Six of the defendants face life in prison if convicted of murder charges. A seventh faces five years for allegedly opening fire on a civilian target.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2015 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 35473664 - local8now.com/a?a=35473664
Gray Television, Inc.