In this May 1944 photo provided by Yad Vashem Photo Archives, Jewish women and children deported from Hungary, separated from the men, line up for selection on the selection platform at Auschwitz camp in Birkenau, Poland. Johann �Hans� Breyer, 87, of Philadelphia admits he was a guard at Auschwitz, but says he was never in Auschwitz-Birkenau, the part of the death camp used as a killing machine for Jews. World-War II-era documents obtained by The Associated Press indicate otherwise. Those files are now in the hands of German authorities, and could provide the legal basis for charging Breyer as an accessory to the murder of hundreds of thousands of Jews in the Nazi death camp. (AP Photo/Yad Vashem Photo Archives)
BERLIN (AP) -- A 93-year-old man who acknowledges he served with the SS in Auschwitz but claims he was only a cook is under investigation by German authorities as a possible accessory to murder.
Hans Lipschis was deported from the U.S. in 1983 for lying about his Nazi past when he immigrated there after the war. Thomas Will, a prosecutor with the German office that deals with Nazi war crimes, says a new investigation was only possible after the case of John Demjanjuk.
Demjanjuk was the first person convicted in Germany on the basis of serving as a camp guard, without evidence he was involved in a specific killing. He died last year while appealing his 2011 conviction.
Will said Wednesday that prosecutors are determining whether charges can be filed against Lipschis.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.