Egypt charges 75 people in deadly soccer riot

CAIRO (AP) -- Egypt's top prosecutor has charged 75 people with murder and negligence in connection with a deadly soccer riot last month in the Mediterranean city of Port Said.

At least 74 people were killed in the Feb. 1 riot, the world's worst soccer-related disaster in 15 years.

Those charged on Thursday include nine police officers and two minors. Among the police officers are Maj. Gen. Issam Samak, who was Port Said's chief of security at the time of the riot.


Join the Conversation!

While WVLT allows comments on articles, we ask that you respect the online community. Comments may be removed at any time for violations including:

  • Obscenity, profanity, vulgarity, racism, violent descriptions, name-calling or personal attacks.
  • Abuse of multiple accounts.
  • Off-topic comments.

Comments may be checked for inappropriate content or rule violation, but the station is under no legal obligation to monitor or remove comments. If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator. 
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142755005 - local8now.com/a?a=142755005
Gray Television, Inc.