Libyan President Mohammed el-Megarif speaks during a memorial service in Tripoli, Libya, Thursday, Sept. 20, 2012, for U.S. Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three consulate staff killed in Benghazi on Sept. 11. (AP Photo/Abdel Magid al-Fergany)
NEW YORK (AP) — Libya's leader says his government has disbanded about 10 militia groups and will continue to take action against Muslim extremists.
President Mohammed el-Megarif said Thursday that the attack on the U.S. Consulate earlier this month that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans was a final straw. He did not say when the militias were disbanded, or how many remain.
Speaking on Thursday in New York, el-Megarif echoed the remarks of his neighbor, Tunisian president Moncef Marzouki, who announced a crackdown on extremists after they attacked the U.S. Embassy in Tunisia.
Both countries face emboldened extremists trying to impose their own, harsh version of Islamic law.
The problem is worse in Libya because many are armed with weapons they used to bring down former ruler Muammar Gadhafi last year.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.