In this image obtained by Associated Press Television News Sunday Oct 20 2013 from a security camera in a store at Nairobi's Westgate Mall following the extremist attack on Sept 21, a group of Kenyan soldiers, top left and right, exit the store many carrying full white shopping bags which they did not have in earlier footage. Soon after the attack began Kenyan officials put a security cordon around the mall, allowing only security forces and a few government personnel to pass through. When the siege was over, some who owned shops inside the mall complained of looting. (AP Photo/ APTN)
KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — Kenyan security forces walked out of a store in Nairobi's Westgate Mall, holding plastic bags heavy with unknown items after Islamic extremists staged an attack. Others looked behind counters and lifted items.
In security camera video seen by The Associated Press on Sunday, some members of Kenya's armed forces appeared to loot a store during the four-day siege of Nairobi's most upscale mall. At least 67 people were killed in the attack by Islamic extremists.
Kenya's security forces have previously denied any wrongdoing.
Soon after the attack began on Sept. 21, Kenyan officials put a security cordon around the mall, allowing only security forces and a few government personnel to pass through. When the attack was over, some who owned shops inside the mall complained of looting.
Mobile phones were ripped from displays, cash registers emptied, and even alcohol stocks plundered, according to AP reporters at the scene after the siege ended.
Public servants in Kenya, including police, firefighters and soldiers, are poorly paid and frequently accused of corruption.
An investigation into a huge fire at Nairobi's airport in August revealed that first responders had looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze.
In the case of the Westgate attack, a team of Kenyan lawmakers that investigated the looting allegations cleared soldiers of any wrongdoing.
The Somali Islamic extremist group al-Shabab claimed responsibly for the mall attack, saying it was in retribution for Kenya's military involvement in Somalia.
Local and foreign investigators have since been digging through the rubble for evidence, and on Sunday another body believed to be that of one of the mall attackers was retrieved.
Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said in a statement that it was the fourth body that "we know from CCTV footage to be that of a terrorist. DNA and other investigations will confirm their identities."
Four AK-47 assault rifles believed to have been used by the attackers were also recovered, the statement said.
"We continue to dig through the rubble at Westgate," it said. "We are determined to bring this chapter to a close by identifying the terrorists responsible for the attack, including those who planned it."
Many questions, including what caused a part of the mall to collapse, remain unanswered nearly a month after the attack. Kenyan officials have urged patience, saying they need more time to investigate the scene.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.