Suspect in Afghan rampage returning to U.S.

(CBS News) -- The U.S. soldier accused in the shooting rampage that left 16 Afghan civilians dead is being transferred back to the United States after his removal from Afghanistan to Kuwait sparked anger from officials in both countries, reports CBS News national security correspondent David Martin.

The suspect, an Army sergeant who remains unidentified, is expected to be brought to the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. The Kuwaiti military released a statement Friday confirming he had departed the country.

Meanwhile, Pentagon officials are investigating independent reports that in the hours before the shooting, the accused soldier was drinking alcohol with two other soldiers, which is forbidden in a combat zone. John Henry Browne, the suspect's attorney, shot down media reports of alcohol and marital problems and focused on the stresses his client had experienced in combat, including witnessing a fellow soldier get his legs blown off the day before the alleged rampage.

"At this small base that he was at, somebody was gravely injured the day before this incident which affected all the soldiers there," Browne said.

Browne told the Associated Press Friday that he or his legal partner Emma Scanlan would meet the suspect at Leavenworth next week.

Browne released other new details about the suspect. He is from the Midwest, has two children, ages three and four, and is a highly decorated soldier with a flawless military record.

He said the suspect's family is stunned.

"He's never said anything antagonistic and Muslims. He's never said anything antagonistic and Middle Eastern individuals. He's in general very mild mannered. They were shocked," Browne said.

But he admitted the 38-year-old, who had been injured twice in Iraq, was reluctant about a fourth deployment.

"He and the family were told his tours of the Middle East were over and then literally overnight, that changed. So I think it's fair to say that he and the family were not happy that he was going back."

The family is now staying at Fort Lewis-McChord near Tacoma, Wash., for their protection.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142953385 - local8now.com/a?a=142953385
Gray Television, Inc.