KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT/SUBMITTED) -- It came down to the final two courts as Ohio State narrowly beat the University of Tennessee women’s tennis team 4-3 Friday night.
The victory for Ohio State (4-4) was just the second in the 18 match series history with the Lady Vols (3-4), the first since 1986 and Tennessee’s first loss in six tries in Columbus.
Tennessee battled to the end but fell in the doubles point dropping an 8-3 decision at No. 1 doubles followed by an 8-4 match at No. 3 doubles.
The Buckeyes added to their lead as Miho Kowase defeated Joanna Henderson 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2 singles. But UT cut into the lead with a tough 7-6, 6-3 victory on court five for freshman Brittany Lindl who fought her way to the first set victory and cruised to the win.
Ohio State regained the two point lead when Sandy Niehaus earned a comeback 5-7, 6-4, 6-0 win over Victoria Olivarez at No. 4 singles. But another three-set comeback win, this time in the Vols favor brought the match back to a single point.
Tiffany Tavares fell in the first set 6-3, but rallied back to finish with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 win over Noelle Malley on court six.
Ohio State sealed the victory on court three as Ferny Angeles Paz beat Laurence Guevremont 6-3, 7-5, Guevremont’s first loss of the spring season.
No. 63 Eve Repic finished the match out against No. 79 Gabriella De Santis with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win, her fourth win over a ranked opponent this year.
The Lady Vols will return to action on Sunday, February 23 when they face No. 37 Indiana in Bloomington at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Tennessee vs Ohio State
Feb 21, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
Ohio State 4, #27 Tennessee 3
1. #63 Eve Repic (UT) def. #79 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Joanna Henderson (UT) 6-4, 6-3
3. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Laurence Guevremont (UT) 6-3, 7-5
4. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Victoria Olivarez (UT) 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
5. Brittany Lindl (UT) def. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
6. Tiffany Tavares (UT) def. Noelle Malley (OSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Joanna Henderson/Laurence Guevremont (UT) 8-3
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) vs. Eve Repic/Victoria Olivarez (UT) 6-6, unfinished
3. Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Ambika Pande/Brittany Lindl (UT) 8-4
Tennessee 3-4, 0-0 SEC; National ranking #27
Ohio State 4-4, 0-0 B1G
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,5,4,6,3,1)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.