KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Work has begun toward the demolition of Stokely Athletics Center, the former home floor of the Tennessee men's and women's basketball program.
University officials announced Thursday that workers had started removing asbestos from the interior of Stokely and had begun preliminary demolition work on the upper floors of the Gibbs Hall dormitory. Once asbestos removal is complete, both buildings will be demolished. The demolition should be complete by this summer.
Plans call for a 1,000-space parking garage, a 33,000-square-foot residence hall and an expansion of football practice fields to fill the space left by Stokely and Gibbs.
The Stokely Athletics Center opened in 1958 and closed in December 2012. The Tennessee men's basketball team played at Stokely from 1959-87, and the women's team played there from 1976-87.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.