Streaming content on Netflix is a pleasure that most people take for granted. Netflix lets you access its overflowing library of content until you go overseas and your home library is blocked. If you’ve been looking forward to finishing your favorite TV series while on an overseas holiday, you’re in for a tough time.
Frustrating may creep in, and you may want to uninstall Netflix out of anger. But hold on. Before you throw your phone or laptop against the wall and swear off Netflix, know that this isn’t something the giant streaming service is doing to spite its subscribers. The streaming service cannot show certain content in certain countries due to licensing agreements with copyright holders.
So, do you have to resign to your fate and wait to return home to watch the rest of the series? No! There’s an easy workaround. You can watch all the content on this streaming giant’s platform using a VPN or virtual private network. So, it will seem like you’re watching the content from home, even if you are overseas.
Is Netflix Onboard With Letting Subscribers Use VPNs?
Although Netflix doesn’t aggressively block VPN use on its platform, it does make some efforts to limit its use. Unfortunately, the platform also updates its VPN-detection measures, and it may feel like a struggle to find the right VPN service for streaming Netflix content. But there are several premium VPN providers like Surfshark, NordVPN, and CyberGhost that lets users securely watch their favorite content anywhere.
How Does a Vpn Work To Let You Access Blocked Content?
VPN works to let you access blocked Netflix content because when you connect to a virtual private network’s server, your IP address gets changed to the VPN server’s IP address through which you are connecting.
Your real physical location and IP address will be hidden from the streaming giant in this process. The platform will then register your location as the VPN server’s location when you are connecting through, and the content of the specific country will be available to you.
While this is how it generally works, there’s no guarantee it’ll work all the time. This is because Netflix does its best to block VPN IP addresses. However, the platform also implements measures to stop its customers from using virtual private networks to unblock geo-blocked content on its website.
Therefore, use this travel hack at your own risk.
Steps To Watch Netflix Overseas With a VPN
- Install and register to a premium VPN service – Premium VPN services are excellent at unblocking Netflix content. Before downloading and installing the service, you must check whether it is legal to use VPN in the country you are traveling to. Then, download the service and follow the installation instructions. Subscribe to the service, sign up, and pay the premium to start using the service.
- Connect to the VPN server in your home country – The next step is to connect to the VPN server in your home country. For instance, if you are an American traveling overseas and want to access the Netflix library of your home country, you must connect to a server located in the USA. Similarly, if you are from the UK, connect to a server in the UK.
- Open Netflix – Now that the VPN server is set up and you’ve connected to your home country’s server, launch Netflix on your phone or computer. Watch the content you want and enjoy.
Factors To Consider When Choosing a VPN For Streaming Content
With so many competing VPNs, choosing one is a daunting task. So, when you select one, consider the following factors:
- The VPN must be capable of working consistently with different regional Netflix libraries and other media streaming services.
- Provides 24/7 customer support that you can promptly avail
- Offers high-speed, reliable Internet connections
- Does not log any incriminating information that might quickly identify you
- Has applications for a broad range of popular devices and operating systems
- Provides top-notch encryption and the kill switch feature so that your anonymity stays protected even if the connection drops
Is It Okay To Use a Free VPN?
It is understandable why you might be tempted to use a free VPN service to unblock Netflix content. But you are strongly advised against doing so. The reasons for this are:
- Free virtual private networks’ performance is not top-notch because they do not have a lot of servers to provide for the needs of all their users. This results in near-permanent network slowdown, and this isn’t ideal for streaming content in HD.
- Free VPNs are most probably blocked by Netflix as the platform has invested in resources to block their use.
- These services are not completely free, and they generate income indirectly. They do not bill their users upfront, but they show a large amount of intrusive ads that you cannot remove without paying a monthly fee. Also, some services store tracking cookies on the user’s device and monitor their activities. Later, they sell this knowledge to third parties without the user’s knowledge.
- Free services aren’t trustworthy, and most of them don’t even use encryption. Some of them contain malware, which might get installed on your device.
Therefore, to stay safe, you must only use premium VPN services.
The Bottom Line
So, this is the travel hack you must know when wanting to watch your favorite Netflix content while overseas. Alternatively, you can download some content for offline viewing while traveling if you don’t want to use a VPN service.